Monday, January 26, 2009

Put me in, Coach!

Last week my life seemed to revolve around basketball. The school was abuzz with the first game of the season. Well, abuzz because every single guy in the high school (with two exceptions) was on the team. It's difficult to find teams to play against so "league games" are any and every game they can scrounge. On Thursday night, the IA Cossacks were set to play the faculty, extemporaneously dubbed "Green Machine." I never played basketball in high school. I was about to say ",but I always wanted to," but that would be a lie. I never did. I always wanted to be asked to play (which I would have refused), but never was. However, Thursday night found me in a small gymnasium on Khrestovskiy Ostrov ready to dominate my students. We only had 3 faculty able to play so we filled out our ranks with a few Russian ringers (2 of whom could dunk). We (Green Machine) ended up winning by 10. To those of you who saw me in my basketball heyday (7th grade), I still got it. 

Also, I've been going to more Spartak SPB games lately. It's my new hobby. Everytime they do their starting lineup they play "Final Countdown" and I picture Gob warming up at center court.

Here's the IA fight song "On Cossacks," sung to the tune of "Anchors Aweigh":

On Cossacks to the goal,
We'll take command!
Loy-al to the red and white,
With courage bold, let's fight-fight-fight-fight

Defend and score with zeal!
O, can't you hear
A shout of victory?
Let's give our all and fight for one more cheer!


1 comment:

noah! said...

that's the same song i use for my morning pre-work pep talks!