Thursday, January 15, 2009

"I will sleep in the next life."

I have been so tired the last few days. During my free periods at school I go and look for places to steal a nap. My evenings consist of fighting against the urge to go to bed 4 hours early. I succumbed this afternoon; barely managed to get up and finish my Russian homework.

In my Russian history class we've been looking at the Westernizers and the Slavophiles. Without going into too much detail, these were two literary/social groups that debated about the direction Russia should go in the middle-late 19th century. The thing I thought was interesting was that both sides saw the premise that culture, specifically literature, could transform a nation (and thus impact world events) as a given. It makes one wonder where the writers of LOST plan on taking America, now doesn't it?

Sometimes I wonder if the smiley face [e.g., :)]  has given new meaning to parentheses to members of my generation. Everytime we see a parenthetical phrase, it elicites an emotional response.


No comments: