Monday, November 3, 2008

Why do you care? Why do I care that you care?

So, here in the hotel in Riga, I've been watching CNN International and they've been doing this thing where they have people from all over the world send in their thoughts about the US election. My first thought: why do they care? My second thought: why do I care? I mean, honestly, what do I care that Pierre from Marseilles "believes in Barack Obama." Really, should I care that Benji in Haifa hopes McCain wins? Do these people lead lives that empty that they have nothing better to do than record a video of them with their thoughts on an election that they can't participate in, send it in to a news channel that is ridiculous enough to put it on the air, and sit back and think they have just done something meaningful? I can honestly say that the 2 minutes I spent watching this segment was the most pointless two minutes of my life. What I did next was much more meaningful (and I'm not being sarcastic): I watched The Simpsons in German. 

5 comments:

Lauren said...

it blows my mind to think that people in other countries pay attention to our politics and care enough to make an effort like that. i barely keep up with our politics (by choice) let alone even know when another country is approaching an election. then again...there is not too many counties that have the same process we do. hmmm. sometimes i wonder if those same people are watching and waiting for the US to hit rock bottom...

UcheSarah said...

I bet there was a Nigerian who commented. Everytime there's a chance to send in comments to CNN international a Nigerian does. Uche and I laugh every time even though we know it'll happen. All of Uche's friends overseas are avidly watching our election news. It's just crazy cause their perception of America is what they learn from CNN. They have NO concept of what America is really like.

noah! said...

as the devil's advocate, i would like to point out that many of the decisions that are made by the executive branch of the united states government majorly influence other countries (see: IRAQ, FINANCIAL CRISIS, LEWINSKY) ok that last one was a joke. also, i took notice when hugo chavez was trying to expand his arm of power in venezuela. its just interesting some times.

Annie said...

Well I think they are in awe because we generally dont have German cowboys who call themselves Garfield on the weekends.

Anonymous said...

Hey keep talking about Russia. It is wonderful. I am remembering the time I was there. What an intense experience. Have fun Joel.

Kyle from teachoverseas.org