Saturday, November 22, 2008

caught in winter's icy grip


Well, I'm through the first week of snow here in Russia. Even though it's early days yet, I feel a lot more confident about this winter. On Wednesday, as I bundled up to leave school, one of my students who has lived here in St. Pete almost his whole life said, "Aw, come on, Mr. Slagle it's not even winter yet!" I told him that not all of us were as blessed as he has been to live in a cold, sunless part of the world their whole lives.

On Wednesday night I went to a professional basketball game here. The point guard for the team here, Spartak Basketball Klub, has two kids enrolled in the school, and he always leaves a few tickets at the front office so we can go watch the games for free. So, I went with another teacher and we met up with some German friends from church who are here in St. Petersburg studying. Spartak beat Lokomitv Rostov, but it was pretty close. The other nice thing about this night out: I can walk to the stadium from my apartment (even in the snow, it's not too bad of a walk). Here's a photo of Spartak BK of St. Petersburg during the team introduction:


4 comments:

noah! said...

Spartak BK is pretty good, but their defense needs some work. They have a hard time closing the lane and are constantly victims to the pick and roll. They're a young team so I'm excited to see what they do in the next couple of years.

mmm...nope.

zach harrison said...

fools dunkin'?

pedronegro said...

nice mustache

Unknown said...

Is that a full on beard or just a gotee? At any rate, it's impressive.

I don't think I will be seeing any snow here soon. Nanchang just has a healthy dosing of unexpected weather changes with wind.