Monday, November 17, 2008

And so it begins...

It snowed on me on the walk to work this morning... Nothing stuck, but it's just the beginning of a new epoch here in St. Petersburg: winter. Snow and darkenss for the next 4 months. On the plus side, some friends of mine that are moving back to America this week gave me several packs of handwarmers! Another way to beat the cold is going to the banya. The banya is the Russian version of the sauna. Some friends of mine rented one out for a few hours yesterday, so I went and got some steam. I felt like a Roman patrician, complete (sometimes) with a toga.

4 comments:

scott J tyler said...

It's like 80 degrees in redding. I would give anything for a legitimate winter--you lucky dog you.

zach harrison said...

Now I get the ninth circle of Hell thing. I thought you had betrayed a friend.

UcheSarah said...

Manila is a banya.

noah! said...

i haven't read the sword of honour trilogy, however, there is a cool used bookstore in sac that had a cool set of it. maybe i'll go back and buy it. a handful of dust is by far my favorite waugh book. i almost bought 'put out more flags' the other day but my wallet said no. i've read:

decline and fall
vile bodies
a handful of dust
scoop
black mischief
brideshead revisited
the loved one

apparently i was wrong and i've only read seven. anyway, i thank you for introducing me to this man. while i thoroughly enjoyed these books the first time, i'm confident the second run through will be even more rewarding (now that i have a good grasp on his sense of humor).