Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Super Bowl


I'm not a big football fan. In the last 10-15 years I've only watched about 2 Super Bowls. However, when I found out a bunch of Americans were getting together and watching the game, I thought, why not? It is an important cultural event. A way for me to assert my heritage. Because of the time difference, the Super Bowl is an all night affair. We were watching the game on a Russian sport channel, so the coverage and the (30 minute) pregame was in Russian. The game began at 2:00 AM and finished around 6:00 AM Monday morning. Because it was aired on a Russian station in the middle of the night, there were not many people willing to pay for commercial airtime. In fact, there was only one company willing to pay: Swiss Air. There was only one commercial and they only played it at the end of each quarter. So, after staying up all night watching the game, I went home, got a shower, and went to work. Was it worth it? Yes, because I won the pool; I predicted a 28-21 Steeler victory and won 500 rubles.

2 comments:

noah! said...

joel slagle you are a badass.

Lauren said...

there are 2 things you happen to by a psychic on. the superbowl and lost. so far all your theories have proved mighty close to what is actually happening. except for juliet being pregers.