Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Interesting Conversation

I was looking for this drink they have here called "Sitro" in a few different shops around here, but couldn't seem to find it anywhere in my district. While in one of the shops I had a conversation that went something like this:

Shopgirl: blah blah blahblah you blah?
Me: Sorry, I'm a foreigner and don't understand Russian very well.
Shopgirl: (Smiles) Oh?
Me: Yes, it's a pity, isn't it?
Shopgirl: Why?
Me: Because I'm not able to understand when someone speaks to me.
Shopgirl: Maybe it's good! blahblahblah blah blah to understand blah blah blah, right?
Me: Right. Do you have "Citro"?
Shopgirl: "Citro"? What's that?
Me: It's a drink. Like ginger ale.
Shopgirl: What? (looks very confused)
Me: Well, it's not important. Thank you (I start to leave)
Shopgirl: Where are you going? (looking confused)
Me: What? (confused as to why she would be asking this question, maybe I didn't hear correctly)
Shopgirl: Where. Are. You. Going.?
Me: Home, of course.
Shopgirl: Of course. (smiling)
Me: Thanks
Shopgirl: You're welcome. 

I can't tell you why, but I found this whole encounter very bizarre.