Monday, March 2, 2009

Bizarro Weekend Pt. 2

So, as I was saying in the last post, on Saturday morning, I headed off to our basketball tournament. We had some difficulty getting a gym for the these games. We had already had two other venues fall through. Both of these gyms, by the way, would not even be up to Igo Ono Elementary School standards. So, after frantically searching the city, the school managed to rent the nicest gym in St. Petersburg for less than than the other gyms and for more hours. Weird.

Anyway, after watching the first few games, I walked (actually, I ran to avoid being ran over by motorists) across the street to a gas station/cafe for lunch. I went and ordered my food and asked a question or two, and then the lady behind the counter asked me something I didn't quite catch.

"I'm sorry, I'm a foreigner and I don't understand Russian well. Can you repeat that?"
"Oh, you're doing just fine! What country are you from then?"
"I'm an American."
"Truthfully? That's very interesting. You know, my daughter speaks English."
"Really?"
"Oh yes, and she's a very good girl. So polite, so intelligent."
"Really?"
"Oh yes, and she studies at the Communications College. She's an economics student. Such a pretty girl."
"Really?" 
"Blah blah blah blah telephone number blah blah blah blah you should blah."
"I'm sorry, I didn't understand that."

I was guessing she wanted me to leave my phone number so she could give it to her daughter. That wasn't going to happen. I decided I was going to tell her that I didn't have a phone when I felt my phone starting to vibrate. Anyway, she let me pay and I took my food and sat down and started eating. After a minute or two she came out from behind the counter with a pen and some paper.

"Here, let me give you my daughter's phone number."
"Oh, that's not necessary."
"No, no, it is. Here I'll write it... ok, this is her cell number. This is our home number. I wrote down which metro stop we live at too."
"Oh, that's not necessary."
"No, no, it is. Call her tomorrow. Don't call today, she's in classes. Call tomorrow. Don't call Monday, she's working then. Call tomorrow."

So, with that she strode back behind the counter and I continued to bemusedly eat my food. She couldn't stay away long and came up again to tell me:

"One more thing: when you call, don't tell her I gave you the number. She'll be embarrassed and say 'Oh, Mom!' Better if you just say a friend from university gave it to you. Oh, and by the way, how old are you?"
"I'm 23."
"Wonderful. Perfect. She's 21. Perfect. Well, my name is Elena and I work here, so if you have any questions just come and ask."
"Ok, it's nice to meet you, Elena."
"Call her tomorrow."

I then finished my food as quickly as I could and left, calling out, "See you later, Elena!" 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you call her?

Kelly said...

It is a shame for a nice, single man like yourself to be single in the Russia. You should probably just go for it.

Gus said...

Get it.

noah! said...

hit it and quit it!

also when you get a chance, i need you to go to men's wearhouse of st petersburg "мужской склад" and get your measurements for your tuxedo. thank you.

Anonymous said...

I want a part 3 . . . so call her