Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Baksov

An interesting conversation on the bus today:

Man: Do you know the name of this bus stop?
Me: No, I'm a foreigner.
Man: Oh, really? Where are you from?
Me: From America.
Man: America?! Wow, you must be very rich then!
Me: Haha, no.
Man: You must have tons of "baksov" (the Russian declension for "bucks").
Me: Haha, no.
Man: Well, come on then, give me some so I can go drink a beer.
Me: I'm sorry. I didn't understand.
Man: Give some "baksov" so I can go drink a beer.
Me: I'm sorry. I didn't understand.
Man: 'Baksov', like rubles. Give me some rubles so I can drink a beer.
Me: Oh, I did understand you. Sorry, haven't got any.

Fortunately, at this awkward point in the conversation the bus pulled up to my stop and I got off.

2 comments:

Allison said...

oh wow. sounds like a fun bus ride joel. are you coming back to the states ever again?

UcheSarah said...

I hope you were also using your best I'm a foreigner I have NO idea what's happening here face. That's what we use here when people ask us for money. Or we just start yelling WALANG PERA which means I have no money.