Tuesday, August 12, 2008

First thoughts

After trying to go back to sleep, after trying to listen to some music and fall asleep, after messing about on the computer in hopes of getting drowsy, and after reading for a little bit, I came to the final conclusion that going back to sleep just wasn't going to happen. So, since I'm awake, restless, and full of thoughts, I might as well share some.

-Thought 1: I didn't think this whole Russia through a whole lot.
This thought struck me as I buckled my seat belt in San Fran. I don't mean that in a bad way or that I'm doubting my calling; nothing like that. I mean I really just didn't think about it. I just kind of did it. I didn't think about the reality of it. Being in an airplane on the way to the other side of the world helps to allow the reality to sink in; so, by the time you arrive at your destination, you're good to go.

-Thought 2: My roommate Jeff seems like a pretty cool guy.
I'm a big first impressions guy. I'm also a big 2nd impression guy. And 3rd. And 4th. And 5th. I'm not CONVINCED Jeff is a pretty cool guy, but, right now, he SEEMS like a pretty cool guy. Maybe it's the Russian suspicion rubbing off on me. I'll write again in April and tell you guys what I end up deciding. As of now, I'm going to go ahead and predict that we will get along pretty well and have a good time together.

-Thought 3:  I need to just forget all about my concept of personal space.
I just can't let it bother me when someone stands WAY too close to me in line. When people brush you. When you can tell what the guy just had for lunch.

-Thought 4: I live on the same street as the UEFA Cup Champions F.C. Zenit (Bolshoi Prospekt)
Today after dinner, Jeff, my Russian friend from last summer Max, and I went for a walk after dinner (the Russian verb for "walk" can mean a few different things. It can mean the physical act of walking, hanging out, or cheating on your wife. We just used the first two this evening). We walked down to the end of Bolshoi Prospekt to the Petrovsky Stadium.

-Thought 5: Jeff's Russian girlfriend, Dasha, genuinely enjoys washing dishes and ironing. I need to get me one of those!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

you should probably watch episodes of arrested development on you tube while your over there. we wouldn't want you losing your 'michael bluth' persona.

UcheSarah said...

Uche still laments his decision to marry an American wife, especially a Slagle who grew up with the phrase, "I'm not the maid you think!" or the other classic, "are your arms broken???".